Saturday, November 28, 2015

Nantahala DH



I got a chance to fish the Delayed Harvest section of the Nantahala River in North Carolina yesterday. I've always enjoyed fishing that river, especially that section of it. I couldn't believe how crowded it was, but it still fished extremely well.
I got there early, so I began the day fishing a double nymph rig. I caught several brookies on it with one rainbow thrown into the mix. After lunch the fish moved up in the water column to feed and the nymph bite got much slower. That was fine with me, as I was now able to switch over to a streamer. That's when it got crazy good!
I tied on a simple cone head olive bugger in size 6 and began working the long, slower moving stretches of slightly deeper water. The brook trout went crazy for that streamer and it was the last fly change needed for the day. It also brought in the biggest fish of the day, a nice 16 inch brown trout that swirled up from out of nowhere and crushed it.
After the brown trout was safely released, I moved upstream to the next likely run. I scrambled my way down the bank and found a nice rock to stand on with a clear area to the rear for my back cast. Using a simple jerk strip retrieve of the bugger I pulled a dozen or so brook trout out of this section with relative ease. I hoped to find another good brown trout in there, but no luck. I decided to call it a day with about 20 fish brought to hand.
All in all it was a perfect day to fish the Nantahala DH section. The weather was perfect and the fish were hungry. If you've ever wanted to fish this stream but just never got around to it, now's the time!




No comments:

Post a Comment