Sunday, November 22, 2015

Tellico River Fishing Report

We have gotten some much needed rain over the last couple weeks and the river is in perfect shape right now. Water temps remain in the high 40's to low 50's depending on your location and the fish are certainly hungry, especially in the Delayed Harvest section.

Nymphing remains the most productive technique. The 2 fly drop shot method has worked the best for me. The best combination has been a large, black stonefly as my point fly and a size 16 hares ear as my dropper fly. Adjust the amount of split shot as needed to get your flies down. The water has been crystal clear, so stealth has also been very important.

I've caught a couple of the larger brood fish that they stocked, but most have been in the 12-14 inch range. The best fish caught so far has been a 3 inch wild rainbow trout. I say the best fish yet because it certainly proves that we have good reproduction of wild fish continuing in the river. That is always a good thing to see.

I fished Sycamore Creek last week also. The brook trout that they re-introduced this year appear to be faring well. They remain aggressive feeders and a size 10 yellow stimulator dry fly was the only fly needed to land a dozen or so brookies. The key was to keep the fly riding high. They do not like a partially sunk dry fly imitation. They never have in my experience. Strange when you consider how aggressively they attack the dry flies that are presented properly.

North River also produced some very nice wild rainbows last week. I didn't spend too much time up there, maybe an hour, but the fishing was good over all. I was on my way home from fishing the DH and decided to fish it on my way out. I began losing light, so I packed it up after bringing 4 or 5 fish to hand. The size 18 pheasant tail was the choice fly on the North River, as is often the case. They love the classics up there.

I did not fish Bald River last week. This time of year I generally stay clear of that area and leave it for the hunters. After all, there's plenty of other water to concentrate on, that's for sure.
 
Speaking of hunters, here's a little Public Service Announcement:
If you happen to see dogs running along the Tellico River corridor this time of year, please leave them alone. They are not lost and they have not been dropped off and abandoned. They are hunting dogs. You'll notice that they will have a collar on with an antennae sticking out. That is a tracking collar. The owners of these dogs generally know the exact area that they are in and pick them up after the days hunt. I'm a HUGE dog lover also, so I know it may look like the dog is lost and needs help, but trust me, he's fine. He's doing what he loves to do in the mountains, just like you are. So please, just let him go about his business.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Steve!

    Very good blog. While I grew up in Chattanooga I now live in Memphis and I'm a member of our local fly club, Mid-South Fly Fishers. My dad fished the Telico often when I was a boy and now he's a granddad. I'd like to know your thoughts about where our best chance is to land some trout as I'm bringing my 9-yr old son with us. We will all be using fly rods.

    I've been reading about North Creek which sounds interesting. We will be there this Friday (after Thanksgiving). Would love your thoughts.

    Thanks,
    Pj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey PJ,
    Thanks for writing. With the Delayed Harvest in effect right now I would go up between Green Cove and the state line. They stocked it pretty heavily from North River to the state line, which is the designated delayed harvest section.
    North River is a wild stream. It has never been stocked and the trout are smaller in general, but lots of fun. Also less trout population there as compared to the Tellico River. You can easily fish both streams in one trip. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks! Happy Thanksgiving. I'll be up there Friday!

    ReplyDelete